The Product Marketing Manager is fully responsible for the strategy and development of brand content for product packaging. This includes the creation of all packaging copy hierarchy and content across the entire portfolio of Feit branded products.
In partnership with the Packaging Design team and Product Managers, the Product Marketing Manager will complete frequent competitive assessments, comp shopping, and concept creation for all new packaging projects. The role must create concepts that offer new and innovative ways in for new sub-brands, new product launches, and new collections. Concepts require a strategic perspective for how new launches can differentiate vs. other market offerings inclusive of understanding competitive advantages, while still aligning to overall brand positioning. This role will be responsible for sharing packaging design concepts and copy with key stakeholders inclusive of Product Managers and Account Managers (when customer is collaborating) and delivering approved copy to the Production team for execution.
Owning the packaging copy creation process, this role will be responsible for writing well-researched, unique, emotionally engaging, educational, persuasive, and organized packaging copy that meets legal and regulatory requirements, while simultaneously capturing brand voice and personality. This includes brand stories, product stories, romance copy, features, benefits, claims, instructions, and product names that are undefined and applied to a variety of packaging structures.
Essential Job Functions:
- Fully responsible for leading packaging copy strategy and development from concepting to product handoff.
- Produce innovative, differentiated, compelling, benefit-driven, brand-right concepts that align with the creative brief and instantly connect with consumers.
- Accountable for all copy on packaging structures including brand stories, product stories, romance copy, features, benefits, claims, and instructions that are undefined.
- Partner closely with the Packaging Design team to complete competitive assessments, comp shopping, and concept creation for all new packaging projects.
- Responsible for copy selection, appearance, and hierarchy on pack to convey information logically and coherently.
- Present packaging concepts and copy to key stakeholders and senior leadership, listen and interpret feedback, and lead revisions.
- Spearhead partnership with Legal team to craft vetted and approved product names.
- Translate complex instructions, claims, and product inputs into consumer-friendly copy.
- Brainstorm packaging support content and develop copy for support pieces including infographics, instruction manuals, and user guides.
- Accountable for delivering approved copy that meets legal and regulatory requirements to the Production team.
- Partner with Brand team to help develop, consolidate, and refresh new and existing brands and related materials that influence packaging.
- Responsible for complex research projects and subject matter expertise across all categories.
- Provide direction for repurposing copy for other mediums and contribute to additional copy and content-related projects assigned by manager.
- Responsible for the assimilation of product information from all key stakeholders. Includes translating complex QA claims and legal language into consumer-friendly, brand voice language.
- Attend all project handoffs and briefings and provide interaction on behalf of manager.
- Collaborate effectively with QA, Sourcing, Brand, Product Development, Product Design, Merchandising, Legal and others to achieve business results.
- Independently prioritize, track, and accomplish multiple tasks within firm timeframes.
- Seek out ways to optimize the packaging content process, finding efficiencies and workarounds for challenges and ambiguous situations.
- Willingness to receive guidance, direction, and editing from key stakeholders.
- Participate in and contributes ideas individually and in group settings.
Other Duties and Responsibilities
- Strong ability to listen to project overview and interpret information to identify packaging content approach and challenges.
- Ability to independently manage workload.
- Ability to work collaboratively on packaging strategies and concepts.
- Ability to translate brief inputs, including complex legal copy, into brand-right packaging content.
- Understanding of packaging content best practices.
- Understand how to flex product copy based on size and spacing of range of packaging dielines.
- Attention to detail, ensuring clean reviews with manager and leadership. Effectively communicate with team members.
- Creative problem-solving and willingness to always find a solution Performs other related duties as assigned or requested.
- Normally requires a Associates Degree or equivalent, preferably in English, journalism, communications, advertising or marketing and a minimum five years progressively responsible copywriting experience with at least two of those years writing packaging copy either within an agency, Consumer Packaged Goods or retail environment.
- Work experience should include copywriting across a spectrum of different marketing touch points for a continuous period of at least one year on multiple brands with demonstrated results.
- An equivalent combination of education and directly related experience may be substituted for a degree.
- Must have excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Requires a strong command of the English language and writing styles.
- Must be an independent, conceptual thinker who is able to “tell a story” within each unique voice and tone of our Private Brands.
- Balancing creative thinking with interpersonal and analytical skills, this person will demonstrate an ability to craft both emotional and descriptive product copy on packaging and organize hierarchy of information.
- The ideal candidate has a high level of initiative and excellent organizational skills, requiring the ability manage multiple large-scale projects and deadlines simultaneously in a fast paced retail environment.
- Must stay apprised of current trends in lighting and SMART devices
- Demonstrates excellent communication, organizational and problem solving skills.
- Must have working knowledge of Macintosh and demonstrate proficiency with Word.
- Experience with database tools and knowledge of Internet technology.
- Has an aptitude to be flexible and proactive within a fast-paced environment, working both independently and as part of a team.
- Strong conceptual skills with knowledge of how copy relates to art, design, graphics and typography are also highly desirable.