This position is responsible for managing the Accounting function of the company. It includes ensuring proper overall general ledger accounting in accordance to General Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP), as well as responsibility for specific accounting areas, as determined by the Chief Financial Officer. The Controller is the primary driver of the accurate and timely monthly G/L closing process, including timing, scheduling, reconciliations and coordination with various departments in the Company. Further responsibilities include active participation in the planning and preparation for the annual budget process, annual financial and other audits, as well as other duties and projects, as required. This position is also responsible for maintaining the accuracy and timely distribution of various internally used reports for the Company’s management and its owners.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Coordination and management of day-to-day activities in the accounting and financial reporting areas, ensuring that appropriate internal controls are employed and that the processing of transactions occur on an accurate and timely basis
- Preparation and review of month-end, quarter-end and year-end closing processes, ensuring transactions and reports are in accordance with GAAP and internal reporting policies
- Coordinate analysis and review activities with Information Systems and other functional areas, as appropriate
- Development, analysis and interpretation of statistical and accounting information in order to appraise operating results in terms of profitability, performance against budget, trends, and other matters impacting the fiscal soundness and effectiveness of the organization
- Oversee all accounts, ledgers, and reporting systems ensuring compliance with appropriate GAAP standards, income tax reporting and regulatory requirements
- Assist Feit’s leadership in the annual budgeting and planning process; administer and review all financial plans and compare to actual results with a view to identify, explain, and correct variances as appropriate
- Responsible for complete and accurate General Ledger accounting and month end close, which includes monthly journal entries, accruals, fixed asset accounting, and other account reconciliations, including accounts receivable, accounts payable, cash, and inventory
- Identify and implement improvements in the systems of internal controls across the organization as they pertain to accounting/finance and the safeguarding of assets
- Coordinates yearend audit working papers which include account reconciliations (audit binder), the preparation of financial statements and other documentation and other schedules as requested by the auditors.
- Maintains working relationships with other departments to ensure that the overall accounting system is functioning properly
- Inventory Control, including obsolescence monitoring & inventory turn analysis
Desired Skills and Experience
- BA/BS in Accounting or Finance
- Big 4 experience highly preferred
- 10+ years of accounting experience with at least 5 years in manufacturing and/or distribution
- ERP experience required, knowledge of Microsoft Navision is helpful
- Ability to plan and organize work effectively; analyze problems, propose reasonable solutions, make logical decisions
- Strong generalist, well versed in accounting operations and able to deal with rapidly changing business priorities
- Ability to work in a collaborative, team based organization, with strong relationship skills
- Strong analytical, written and oral communication skills
- Solid experience coordinating audit activities and managing reporting, budget development and analysis, accounts payable and receivable, general ledger, payroll, inventory and cost accounting
- Keen analytic, organization and problem-solving skills which allows for strategic data interpretation versus simple reporting
- Proficiency in Excel, Access, and Word
- Ability to function effectively in a fast paced , team oriented work environment
- Ability to meet deadlines and prioritize workload
- BA/BS in finance or accounting and 4-7 years of related experience.
- CPA and/or MBA preferred.
- Ability to identify and report problems and assist in their resolution